YAY 🎉 you made it! I’m already encouraged… this means I’m not all alone here lost in the vastness of cyberspace. I promised that this week’s post would unpack the ‘how’ behind #cultivatemorecourage so let’s start there.
HOW exactly can you cultivate more courage? Well, it’s like anything else that needs to grow or be strengthened. You have to use it… a little bit at a time until it builds up – gets strong.
Example: lifting weights 🏋️♂️ regularly builds strong muscles.
The tricky part is this… what is COURAGE exactly?
Well according to psychologists there are several different attributes that help us define courage. I’ve selected six of these for us to work on as we #cultivatemorecourage together. I’ve come up with my own summary titles for these and they are:
SIX ATTRIBUTES OF COURAGE
- COMFORTABLE WITH UNCOMFORTABLE – Get outside of your comfort zone, make trying ‘new’ things a habit.
- DON’T QUIT – Persevere when things get tough, make ‘finish what you start’ a personal mantra.
- FACE YOUR FEAR – Do it anyway, we all have fears but it’s important that we don’t let them hold us back from everything we want in life.
- PAIN HAS A PURPOSE – Suffer with dignity, understand that pain is a natural part of life and that it too can change us for the better.
- PICK YOUR BATTLES – Stand up for yourself and others, because it’s the right thing to do.
- PURSUE YOUR PASSION – Living life doing the things you’re passionate about inspires others, and we all need inspiration.
TIP… you might want to keep a copy of this, right? I thought so, here’s a cute copy for you to keep, since you’ll be growing in these areas all year.
You can download it here ATTRIBUTES OF COURAGE
OK girls, you still with me? Excited or terrified? Well, either way this is where we are headed in 2019… as a community we are going to share our experiences right here on the blog, as well as other places I have planned for us later in the year!
(SHOUT OUT TO… Mary, Betty, Toni, Janine, Karen and Jeannie for being courageous enough to comment on last week’s post 🙌🏻)
Remember, I’m the ‘host’ here and as your ‘host’ it’s my role to open up our conversations around these areas of cultivating more courage. Which means… yep, I’ve gotta go first, yikes! But I shared last week that I’ve got some pretty big stuff coming my way in 2019 – whether I like it or not. The kind of stuff that you have to prepare for; like hurricanes, and relocating aging parents, and sending your first kid to college… that caliber of STUFF, life stuff that requires strength.
No, these aren’t the things I’m dealing with this year – but maybe some of you are… don’t you think you’ll need some extra COURAGE to get through these well? Let’s face it the emotional effort we use to live a quality life requires courage.
That’s why I’ve taken this task on, to build a community where we are committed to #cultivatemorecourage TOGETHER. I’m thankful you’re in this with me.
OK, actionable items for this week…
Think about the SIX ATTRIBUTES OF COURAGE and what you know about your upcoming year along with your DREAM, GOAL, and/or PLAN.
- COMMENT on this post and tell us which attribute you think you need to work on the most, and share a little about why you choose that attribute.
- Start brainstorming ways you can grow that attribute and write your ideas down. *save this list for the future
You hanging in there?
I’ll tell you a secret… I’ve already began working on #1 COMFORTABLE WITH UNCOMFORTABLE and the experience I went through wore me out. The day I stepped out to do this ‘new thing’ I was in bed before 9:00pm due to pure exhaustion. But, I did it and I can’t wait to share some of the experience with you next week.
So, here’s how this will go moving forward. I’m gonna post about one of each of these six areas each week and ask you to chime in.
Well, simple if you’re already a part of this community and you receive these posts via email. If you haven’t joined yet I encourage you to do so. Super easy just use the COUNT ME IN sign up at the top of this page.
Don’t forget to do your homework 📚 for this week listed above ⬆️ and until next time…
be strong and courageous,